Couple tried to smash window to escape burning hotel, inquiry told

Couple tried to smash window to escape burning hotel, inquiry told
A blaze at the five-star Cameron House Hotel claimed the lives of Simon Midgley and his partner, Richard Dyson, 在十二月 2017.

Two men who died after being stuck in a burning hotel had tried to smash a window to escape the inferno, an inquiry has heard.

A blaze at the five-star Cameron House Hotel claimed the lives of Simon Midgley, 32, and his partner, Richard Dyson, 38, 从 伦敦, 在十二月 2017.

A fatal accident inquiry into the blaze at the hotel on the banks of 萝梦湖, near Balloch, is being held at Paisley Sheriff Court.

Gary Love, a fire investigator, told the inquiry that he found evidence the couple had tried to escape from the blaze.

Emergency services at the scene following the fire at the Cameron House Hotel (安德鲁·米利根/PA)
Emergency services at the scene following the fire at the Cameron House Hotel (安德鲁·米利根/PA)

“I noted that a large picture frame was on its side directly below the window of the second floor landing,” the 57-year-old said, describing the area of the hotel where the men’s bodies were found.

He added that the “frame had been prised from the adjacent wall, most likely with the intention to be used to smash the window”.

The now retired investigator for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service told Crown counsel Graeme Jessop that what they had been trying to break through was a laminated double-glazed window, which could not be opened, and had managed to smash only one pane.

Mr Love told the inquiry his investigation found the blaze had started in the concierge cupboard of the Grade B listed building, and inside they found evidence of a galvanised bucket, kindling, and a shovel.

He told the inquiry more than 75% of the main building of the 128-room hotel had been “severely damaged” in the incident, and the fire had caused the majority of the roof to collapse.

Mr Love said his conclusion was the fire was accidental, and was most probably the result of a careless act.

“Ashes have a low thermal conductivity; consequently, it’s not rare for individuals to believe ashes are dead while in reality hot or smouldering embers are still contained within,” he told the inquiry.

Mr Love told Sheriff Thomas McCartney that studies have shown embers causing a fire hours later, and could smoulder for days.

Cameron House Hotel night manager Darren Robinson arrives at Paisley Sheriff Court for the fatal accident inquiry (Jane Barlow/PA)
Cameron House Hotel night manager Darren Robinson arrives at Paisley Sheriff Court for the fatal accident inquiry (Jane Barlow/PA)

达伦·罗宾逊, 当时酒店的夜班经理, was giving evidence to the inquiry earlier on Tuesday and was shown footage of night porter Christopher O’Malley filling a black plastic bag with ashes and putting it into the cupboard, 它还为附近的火灾储存了引火物.

在片段的一部分, 奥马利在与另一位酒店员工交谈时将骨灰放入.

罗宾逊先生说: “这不是我会做的事”, 并补充说这是“火灾风险”.

“灰烬中可能有炽热的余烬,“ 他说, 并告诉询问当时橱柜里有“易燃物”.

他不知道他们被放在那里,直到他看到视频片段, 询问被告知.

Mr Robinson was alerted to the pre-alarm and he and O’Malley went to try to find the cause.

片刻之后, the inquiry was shown, O’Malley opened the door to the cupboard he had previously placed the ashes in, where he and a member of the public found the source of the fire.

抽烟 很快就开始填满房间, 罗宾逊先生放下他的消防队长包和客人名单, 拿起灭火器.

但此时, 罗宾逊先生告诉法庭, 他觉得“没有意义”.

“它太大了,让人们出去更重要,” he told Mr Jessop.

大火对卡梅伦豪斯酒店造成了严重破坏 (安德鲁·米利根/PA)
大火对卡梅伦豪斯酒店造成了严重破坏 (安德鲁·米利根/PA)

然后可以看到公众成员试图用灭火器灭火, 但无济于事.

Mr Robinson then called emergency services.

马克·斯图尔特 QC, 为奥马利表演, 告诉法庭他的委托人是一个“尽职尽责”和“勤奋的员工”.

“When that alarm went off, you asked Mr O’Malley to go and investigate. 这就是我们在视频中看到的,他冲出接待区,稍微领先你一点,“ 他说.

当检测到烟雾时, 工作人员有三分钟时间找出原因, 调查被告知,奥马利的行为在做出让罗宾逊先生触发全面警报的决定方面是“有用的”.

Mr Stewart said there had been nothing to test the temperature of the ash to make sure it was cool enough, 用的金属桶是从B买的&Q 就在大火之前.

和, 听到的询问, 奥马利告诉罗宾逊先生,垃圾箱已满,夜班经理已通过电子邮件向酒店的其他工作人员发送电子邮件,要求清空垃圾箱.

酒店运营商 Cameron House Resort (萝梦湖) Ltd之前被罚款50万英镑, and O’Malley was given a community payback order over the fire.

敦巴顿 警长法庭于去年 1 月获悉,奥马利将燃料火灾中的灰烬和余烬倒入聚乙烯袋中后,火灾就开始了, and then put it in a cupboard containing kindling and newspapers.

这家酒店公司承认在 1 月之间未能采取必要的消防安全措施来确保其客人和员工的安全 14 2016 和十二月 18 2017.

调查仍在继续.

发表评论

您的电子邮件地址不会被公开.