‘The investigation continues,’ said French officials
Annecy procureur Lise Bonnet confirmed on Thursday evening that the 57-year-old, not identified by name, had ‘been ruled out’ from the police investigation following his arrest 24 heures plus tôt.
“No charges have been brought against the person who was questioned,” said the prosecutor. “The explanation given and the verifications done allow us to rule out his participation in the facts. The investigation continues.”
That investigation centres on the gunning down of Saad al-Hilli, 50, his wife Iqbal, 47, and his mother-in-law Suhaila al-Allaf, 74, en septembre 2012.
All three were killed in their BMW car at a lay-by close to Lake Annecy, in eastern France, while cyclist Sylvain Mollier, 45, also died in the bloodbath after being shot seven times at point blank range.
The family, de Surrey, were on a camping holiday at the time.
Jean-Christophe Basson-Larbi, the arrested man’s lawyer, said his client had been wrongfully arrested and been ‘put through hell’.