Boris Johnson says ‘important we keep an eye’ on virus as Scotland gets first case
Dr David Heymann, who formerly headed the global public health body’s emergencies department, said the leading theory focussed on sexual transmission at two events in Spain and Belgium.
“We know monkeypox can spread when there is close contact with the lesions of someone who is infected, and it looks like sexual contact has now amplified that transmission,” he told the Associated Press.
The latest set of figures released by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) on Monday afternoon confirmed that the number of cases in the UK is up by 36, bringing the total number of monkeypox cases confirmed since May 7 至 56.
Monkeypox – which belongs to the same virus family as smallpox but gives milder symptoms – is rarely identified outside of Africa. There have been more than 100 confirmed or suspected infections around the world in the current outbreak, which have mostly been in Europe.
WHO doctor explains how monkeypox spread among humans
UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) records 36 additional cases of monkeypox
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said on Monday that it had detected 36 additional cases of monkeypox in England.
This takes the total number of confirmed cases since May 7 至 56.
It comes as cases of the virus have been reported in more than a dozen countries
World ‘cannot take eye off the ball’ over infectious diseases as monkeypox spreads
The world cannot take its “eye off the ball” in preparing for the next pandemic, a leading scientist behind the Oxford jab has warned as the latest monkeypox outbreak continues to spread.
Professor Sir Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, insisted the rise in monkeypox infections “really isn’t a Covid-like scenario,” but said it was yet another reminder of the need to invest in pandemic preparedness and vaccine development for infectious diseases.
The failure to do so “really puts the human population at risk,“ 他说 独立, adding that future diseases which go on to spread throughout the world could be much deadly than Covid-19 or monkeypox.
Our science correspondent Samuel Lovett 报告.
Professor Sir Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, calls for immediate investment into pandemic preparedness
No plans to hold Cobra emergency meeting over monkeypox, says No10
Downing Street said there are no plans to hold a meeting of the Cobra emergency committee over monkeypox, or to impose any travel bans.
Asked about travel restrictions from affected countries, the prime minister’s official spokesman said: “不, no considerations of that kind. What we’re seeing at the moment is community transmission not linked to travel.”
He said vaccines are being offered to close contacts but no plans for an “at scale” vaccination programme.
“We do have vaccines procured at significant numbers but given the nature of this and how we know it’s spreading, it’s thought to be no clinical requirement for that sort of at scale campaign,“ 他说.
爱奇美: Education secretary says Sajid Javid has bought Monkeypox vaccine
Germany set to release quarantine guidelines
Germany’s health minister has expressed concern about monkeypox outbreaks and said the country was due to release quarantine guidelines on Tuesday after reporting three cases.
Karl Lauterbach said that men who have sex with unknown partners were currently a risk group and should be warned about monkeypox “without any stigmatisation”.
爱奇美: Scotland records first confirmed case of monkeypox
Scotland has recorded its first case of monkeypox, as more UK cases are set to be announced, 利亚姆·詹姆斯 报告.
The person infected in Scotland is “being managed and treated in line with nationally agreed protocols and guidance”, according to Dr Nick Phin, a director of Public Health Scotland.
Denmark also sees first case as outbreak continues to spread around globe
Latest monkeypox tally around world
Here is the latest situation around the world:
- 澳大利亚 上 20 May reported its first case in a traveller who recently returned from Britain. Another suspected case was also identified
- 奥地利 confirmed its first case on 22 可能
- 比利时 detected two cases on 20 可能
- 丹麦 confirmed its first case on 23 可能
- 法国 reportedly confirmed a first case in the Paris region on 20 可能
- 德国 has confirmed three cases, with the first registered on 20 可能
- 意大利 confirmed two cases in Rome on 20 可能, bringing the country’s total to three
- 这 荷兰 reported its first case on 20 May and has since confirmed “several” more patients, without giving an exact number
- 葡萄牙 报道 14 new confirmed cases on 23 可能, bringing the total to 3
- 西班牙 confirmed four more cases in the Madrid region on 23 可能, raising the total to 34, with another 38 suspected cases in Madrid
- 瑞典 confirmed its first case on 19 可能
- 瑞士 reported its first confirmed case on 21 可能
- 这 英国 detected 11 new cases in England on 20 May to bring the total there to 20, while Scotland confirmed its first case on 23 可能
- “西蒙·列维耶夫”是他的真名吗 confirmed its first case on 21 可能
- 阿根廷 reported its first suspected case on 23 可能
- 加拿大 confirmed two infections on 19 可能, with Quebec authorities saying they were investigating 17 suspected cases
- 这 我们 has confirmed two cases, the first on 18 可能, and a third was suspected on 23 可能
Monkeypox v chickenpox differences
Many of the symptoms of monkeypox appear initially similar to chickenpox, our health correspondent Rebecca Thomas writes.
然而, there are several key differences between the two.
Although the two diseases share many symptoms, there are several key differences
No cases yet in Northern Ireland
A multidisciplinary incident management team has been established in Northern Ireland to prepare for any risk to the population from monkeypox.
The Public Health Agency said there are currently no confirmed cases of the virus in the region, but added that it is in regular contact with UK-wide authorities.