Crisp chicken and lots of lime – time to tuck in, says Ella Walker
He says: “The key is to use chicken thighs for the best taste, but soak them in buttermilk for at least 24 小时, as this flavours and tenderises the meat. The selection of spices is up to you, but this is our favourite combination.
“Simply mix with flour, coat the chicken and deep fry; if the chicken pieces start to colour too quickly, remove from the fryer and finish cooking in the oven, as you want the fryer at a temperature where it cooks the chicken through but browns the crumb at the same time. I love this with a chipotle dressing, tons of chilli and mint, and fresh lime.”
Crispy buttermilk chicken with chipotle dressing
12 chicken thighs, skinned and boneless
植物油, for deep-frying
Fine sea salt
For the seasoned flour:
300g self-raising flour
2 tsp celery salt
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp ground nutmeg
3 tsp garlic salt
3 tsp onion salt
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the chipotle dressing:
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 egg yolks
200ml vegetable oil
1 tbsp chipotle chilli paste
A few sprigs of coriander and mint, 切碎的
1 red and 1 green chilli, sliced
2 limes, cut into wedges
1. Place the chicken in a large bowl or container and coat in the buttermilk. Cover and pop in the fridge overnight.
2. The next day, heat a pan of vegetable oil or a deep-fat fryer to 170C (338F).
3. Mix the flour together with all the spices in a shallow bowl. Drain the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge it through the seasoned flour, coating each piece well.
4. Fry the chicken in batches for six to eight minutes until golden and crispy, then drain on kitchen paper.
5. To make the chipotle dressing, whisk together the mustard and egg yolks. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking continuously until you have a thick dressing, then whisk in the chipotle paste.
6. To serve, pile the chicken onto a platter, drizzle over the chipotle dressing and sprinkle the herbs and chillies over the top. Dot with lime wedges for squeezing.
‘BUTTER: Comforting, Delicious, Versatile, 超过 130 Recipes Celebrating Butter’ by James Martin (published by Quadrille, 22 英镑; photography by John Carey), available now