This recipe from Gordon Ramsay’s new cookbook is ready in a flash and works at any time of day, writes Ella Walker
Bavette ステーキ, or flank steak as it is known in America comes from a well-used part of the cow, so has quite a different texture from more premium steak cuts, such as ribeye and sirloin,” explains chef Gordon Ramsay.
“Since it has more connective tissue (and therefore more flavour), it needs to be cooked quickly over a high heat, as here, or braised much more slowly at a lower temperature. When slicing it, always remember to cut across the grain to maximise tenderness.”
Blackened steak with kimchi fried rice and pickled radish
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
2 x 175g (6oz) bavette (flank) steaks
Vegetable oil, for frying
140g (scant 1 cup) kimchi, from a jar, プラス 1 tbsp of the juice
250g (1⅓ cups) cooked jasmine or basmati rice
2 spring onions (scallions)
6 breakfast radishes or 5cm (2に) piece of daikon radish
2 tbsp black sesame seeds or nigella seeds
1 tsp chopped chilli, from a jar
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place a griddle (グリル) pan or frying pan (skillet) over a high heat.
2. Put the hoisin and soy sauce into a bowl and mix together. Add the steak and stir to coat.
3. When the griddle or frying pan is smoking hot, drizzle over a little oil and cook the steaks for two to three minutes.
4. その間, place a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a little oil. While the oil is heating, roughly chop the kimchi, then add it to the pan. Add the rice and stir to combine.
5. Slice the spring onions, reserving the green tops for serving, and add to the pan with the rice and kimchi.
6. Flip the steaks over and cook for a further two to three minutes.
7. Place a second non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a little oil. When hot, crack in the eggs and fry for two minutes, until the whites are firm and beginning to crisp around the edges.
8. Finely grate the radishes into a bowl. Season with salt, then stir in the kimchi juice.
9. Divide the hot rice between two bowls. Put a fried egg on top and sprinkle with the sesame seeds, followed by salt and pepper. Finely slice the steaks across the grain and place alongside the rice.
10. Sprinkle over the chopped chilli and reserved spring onion greens before serving with the radish salad on the side.
Extracted from ‘Ramsay In 10’ by Gordon Ramsay (published by Hodder & Stoughton, £25; photography Jamie Orlando-Smith), 利用可能 14 10月.