Former Hollywood producer is currently in prison in Los Angeles
The former Hollywood producer is currently serving a 23-year sentence in Los Angeles while awaiting trial on 11 additional charges.
Rosemary Ainslie, head of the CPS Special Crime Division, gesê: “Charges have been authorised against Harvey Weinstein, 70, following a review of the evidence gathered by the Metropolitan Police in its investigation.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has the right to a fair trial.”
Once the CPS authorises charges, the suspect must be formally charged by police before the case goes to court.
The Met confirmed on Wednesday afternoon it had been authorised to charge Weinstein with two counts of indecent assault.
It said the offences happened between 31 July and 31 Augustus 1996 in Londen.
The alleged victim is now in her 50s, the force added.
The Met said it had updated everyone whose allegations form part of its investigation.