Threat believed to have been a ‘hoax’
A school in Greater マンチェスター was locked down on Monday after a person made an online gun threat.
Just before 11am, armed police rushed to Golborne High School in Wigan, after receiving reports that an individual claiming to be in possession of a gun was making threats to the school.
Several police vehicles were seen close to the school gates, and the school was placed on lockdown as a precaution.
Concerned families gathered outside the school after reading about the threat and police response on social media.
One parent told the マンチェスターイブニングニュース: “I had no idea what was going on, I called them [their child] and got no response. It was scary.”
別の人は言った: “I was with my wife at home and we got a call that something had happened so I shot down here.”
Greater Manchester Police’NS (GMP) Chief Inspector Liz Sanderson, of Wigan Division, said in a statement that armed officers had “been deployed to the scene and the school” had been “locked down as a precaution”.
彼女は付け加えた: “The threats were made over the internet and no one has approached the area with a firearm.”
Later on Monday afternoon, GMP confirmed that the incident was understood to have been a “hoax”.
Facebookの投稿で, the Golborne and Lowton West councillors Yvonne Klieve, Susan Gambles, and Gena Merrett, shared an updated statement from the force.
“At around 10.42am this morning (22 11月) police received a report online of what is now believed to be a hoax, from an individual claiming that they were going to attend a school on Lowton Road, Golborne, in possession of a firearm,」声明は言った.
“Officers attended and it was established that there was no one with a firearm present.
The statement added that enquiries were ongoing, and police patrols would remain in the area over the coming days to reassure the public.