A patch of grass and some rose bushes that have served as the backdrop to history
In a change to the advertised programme, Damian McBride suggested this topical list. In chronological order…
1. David Lloyd George housed the secretariat to his war cabinet in temporary huts in the garden (the “garden suburb”), 1916. Nominated by Blair McDougall and James Heale.
2. John Major’s “put up or shut up” statement, 22 六月 1995, which prompted John Redwood’s leadership challenge.
3. Tony Blair presented his government’s first “annual report”, 30 七月 1998. Thanks to Will Cooling.
4. Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness went missing in No 10 and were found skateboarding with Tony Blair’s children, 可能 1999. Nominated by John Fuchs and Gerry Braiden.
5. Freddie Flintoff admitted he was in a “fairly dishevelled state”, 13 九月 2005, at a party to celebrate the England cricket team’s Ashes victory.
6. David Cameron and Nick Clegg announced the coalition agreement, 12 可能 2010.
7. Pele had a kick-about with young people from a football charity, 3 八月 2011, and had his photo taken with star-struck political journalists.
8. Series of work meetings with wine and cheese, as photographed from Rishi Sunak’s office, 15 可能 2020.
9. “Bring your own booze” “work event”, 20 可能 2020, which now threatens to sink Boris Johnson, who attended for 25 分钟.
10. Dominic Cummings’s “eye-test” news conference, 25 可能 2020.
As Alastair Meeks suggested, if I wait for Sue Gray’s report, I might have a Top 10 Downing Street garden parties during lockdown alone.
An honourable mention for Harry Johnston and GGMZ, who reminded us that the “Edstone” – Ed Miliband’s promises carved on a slab – was destined for the Downing Street garden if he had become prime minister.
Next week: Political meals, after Boris Johnson flew back from the Cop26 climate summit for dinner at the Garrick private members’ club with Charles Moore, who persuaded him that Owen Paterson must be saved.
Coming soon: Soundbites that sound good on first hearing but when thought about are revealed to be nonsense, 如: “No one is safe until everyone is safe.”
Your suggestions please, and ideas for future Top 10s, to me on Twitter, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org